Although the title of this blog is Helpful Links for Writers, I wanted to stress the importance of promoting your work, too. The picture you see above was taken at a presentation for my book, Intruders on Battleship Island, done with fourth graders at a local elementary school. I spent two days talking to several classes about my book and the history of the island described in the book. I also included a follow-up activity folder that I gave each teacher. Being a former teacher myself, it gave me an opportunity to work with kids again and a chance to promote my book!
Here below are the helpful links for those of you who are new to this and may need some help in knowing how and where to submit. You may also be unaware of some of the pitfalls in the writing business. Here are a few of the writing sites that I’ve found helpful over the years. There are many others, and I will continue to add to the list as I find them.
Hope you enjoy!
1. Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI): http://www.scbwi.org/
2. Preditors & Editors: http://pred-ed.com/
3. Piers Anthony’s Internet Publishing: http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html#publishers
4. Guide to Grammar and Writing: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
5. Directory of ePublishers: http://www.ebookcrossroads.com/epublishers.html
7. Colossal Directory of Children’s Publishers: http://www.signaleader.com/
8. Book Editors and Book Publishers: http://www.bookmarket.com/childrens.htm
9. JacketFlap: http://www.jacketflap.com/
10.Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/